I have to say – I stink at sharing recipes because I do everything from mah noggin. I rarely use a measuring cup/spoon – I’m more of a “eh, this looks right…” kinda girl. However, I was kind of in love with the mushroom risotto with caramelized onions I made inspired by Oh She Glow’s recipe. Plus, I promised.😉 (So don’t be surprised if I don’t *always* tell you my measurements :))
- 2 large yellow onions
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms*
- thyme/other spices
- 1 cup pearled barely
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups white wine
- ground pepper
*(I’d recommend 2 packages, instead!!)
1. Chop one of the onions, and add to a large skillet (one with a lid would work best!) with olive oil. (~1 tbsp!) Sautee for approximately five minutes, and then add the minced garlic.
2. While that’s cookin’, chop some more!! This time it’s your baby bellas. After about 10 minutes, add the mushrooms to the skillet.
3. Once the mushrooms are cooking for about 5 minutes, add the chives + other seasonings, then cook for another five minutes. (I just used whatever I had on hand, but Oh She Glow’s used a sprig of rosemary. Also, I don’t use salt when I cook, but if you do you should add it now!!)
4. Then, add the pearled barely (or whatever grain you choose!) and gradually add the vegetable broth and wine through out the cooking process so the grain can soak up the liquid at the right pace. Once it boils, cover it with a lid and STIR, STIR, STIR!!!
The vegetable broth I used:
The wine I
drank while I was stirring added to the dish:
5. In between constant stirring and wine drinking, make the caramelized onions using your other onion. (This was my first attempt and I’ll be honest – I’m not quite sure I got the hang of it.)
6. EAT!!! Top your risotto with black pepper and the caramelized onions!
On another note, I cannot believe tomorrow is April 1st!!! (Don’t forget to say your rabbit, rabbit’s.) Thank goodness, though – because April showers will bring May flowers..
…and more importantly, baseball!😉
And of course, baseball gives me a legitimate excuse to make Phillies themed cakes again.😀